“I think I can wipe out diabetes,” - Robert Atkins.
As the above quotes goes, believing leads to a better life. We know that diabetes is a silent killer and there is no cure. But losing the hope and surrendering yourself to the effects of diabetes is not the solution. You must find better solutions in the form of natural diabetes diet. Before you find natural treatments, you must be aware of the diabetes type you’re dealing with.
Diabetes is a condition that prevents the body from utilizing glucose, thereby leading to rise in blood glucose levels. The disease has different types depending on factors such as cause, age of onset, treatment etc… which is explained here briefly.
TYPE I DIABETES
Causes: It is usually caused due to heredity and inability of pancreas to produce insulin.
Age: Usually a sudden onset and occurring in the younger age group.
Treatment: Requires insulin injections to regulate blood glucose levels.
TYPE II DIABETES
Causes: Obesity, insulin insensitivity, heredity and other medical illnesses are the major factors.
Age: Develops slowly and is common in adults (35-40 years).
Treatment: Does not require insulin injections but requires oral drugs to maintain blood glucose levels.
Age: Women of child bearing age (18-35 years)
Treatment: Usually disappears post-delivery.
How do you deal?
A healthy diet, medication and exercise are essential to control and manage diabetes. The below are few things to consider for diabetes.
• Maintain your weight at desirable levels.
• Never skip meals and have regular meal timings.
• Avoid having large meals. Break up the total calories prescribed for a day into smaller meals at regular intervals.
• Have an early dinner at least two to three hours before going to bed. Have a cup of milk two hours after dinner to avoid hypoglycemia during the night.
• Take your medication or insulin injection at the prescribed timings. Don’t alter the dosage of insulin without consulting your dietician.
• Adjust the amount and timings of meals, dosage of medicine and level of physical activity to maintain normal blood glucose levels.
• Maintain a moderate and regular exercise regime throughout the day. Regular exercise helps to regulate blood glucose levels, improve the action of insulin, lose weight, reduce stress, increase HDL and reduce LDL.
• Walk for at least 15 – 20 minutes after ever meal.
• To remain fit and healthy make changes in your routine such as climbing stairs instead of lift, evening walk etc…
• Remember to eat something before doing exercise else you may have to deal with giddiness, headache etc…
Do follow the above steps as they may act as the best diabetes treatment.
*Disclaimer: The results may vary from person to person, depending on age, sex, body weight and a lot of other factors.*